The first meeting of the Women's Committee of the K-W Symphony Orchestra was held on June 24, 1948. Mrs. Henry C. Krug (Mabel Krug) chaired this committee, and was assisted by Mrs. A.R. Kaufman and Mrs. T.W. Seagram. The membership fee at that time was set at one dollar.  The committee pledged to raise $1,000 the first year.

  • In 1955, the committee joined the Ontario Federation of Symphony Orchestras.
  • In 1965, the first Viennese Ball was held, and continued annually to 1980.
  • Ski-a-thons were held annually from 1977 to 1985.
  • Some early fundraising activities included: Garage Sale of Note, Dream Home Raffle, and Treasury of Doll Houses. Gala events included the Symphony's first performance at the new Centre in the Square in 1980 and the newly-opened Seagram Museum in 1984.
  • The first Music Marathon was held in 1974. A newer version called the Love of Music Marathon will celebrate its 16th year in 2019.
  • The Women's Committee became the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Volunteer Committee in the early 1990's and now included men in its membership.
  • In 1995, the Card & Games Party began and continues today.
  • The largest fundraiser in recent years, the House & Garden Tour of Note, started in June 1998 and remains an annual event anticipated by many.  In 2019 it included the Prelude Picnic & All That Jazz.
  • In 2019, the Wine in Garden Planter Raffle was introduced as an annual fundraiser.
  • In recent years, the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Volunteer Committee has successfully met pledges of at least $50,000 annually to the KWS.
  • The Committee also helps the KWS in fundsaving activities. Details are listed on our What We Do page.